The Central Sierra forestry program seeks to provide the latest research-based information from the University of California to residents, non-profits, and staff of local, state, and federal agencies.
Susie Kocher is the Forestry Advisor for the Central Sierra area. Susie is a Registered Professional Forester with a background in forestry, stream restoration, monitoring and sociology and has worked for Cooperative Extension for 22 years, in South Lake Tahoe since September 2006. On-going projects:
- Co-chairing the forest landowner outreach and education working group of the Governor's Forest Management Task Force https://fmtf.fire.ca.gov/
- Hosting forest stewardship workshops focused on helping landowners write forest management plans
- Increasing the capacity of private landowners to carry out prescribed fire in the Sierra
- Conducting reforestation workshops for landowners affected by wildfire and tree mortality
- Training Master Gardeners to answer questions on tree mortality from the public
- Coordinating input to the tree mortality data collection network
- Collaboration with the California Fire Science Consortium
- Maintenance of the University of California Forest Research and Outreach website
- 2010 - 2013 Collaborating with the University of Nevada Cooperative Extension Living with Fire program to organize the Lake Tahoe Basin Wildfire Awareness Week and wildfire summit
- 2007 - 2015 Monitoring of the recovery of the Angora fire area in collaboration with the California Tahoe Conservancy
- 2008 - 2015 Coordinating public involvement in the Sierra Nevada Adaptive Management Project
- 2009 - Developing Voluntary Revegetation Guidelines for Private Parcels in the Angora burn area with a group of affected homeowners
- 2007 Conducting a Needs Assessment to identify extension and outreach needs
- Check this page for forestry publications.
Ideas for collaboration or educational programming are welcome. Please contact:
Susie Kocher, University of California Cooperative Extension-Central Sierra, 1061 3rd Street, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150, Phone: 530-542-2571, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Forest Research and Outreach Blog
Reposted from the UCANR employee news Lynn Huntsinger, professor and Russell Rustici Chair in Rangeland Management at UC Berkeley, received the W.R. Chapline Research Award at the Society for Range Management's (SRM)...
Forestry Menu Options
New UC ANR Publication
Updated UC ANR Publication
In 2015/16, many trees are dying throughout the central Sierra Nevada. This link connects to a webpage with information, publications and resources for dealing with tree mortality in the central Sierra.