Become a Master Food Preserver
Master Food Preserver Benefits
- Contribute to your community. Every year Master Food Preservers contribute several thousand hours of volunteer service helping keep our community safe and healthy.
- Enjoy working together with a great group of food enthusiasts.
- Gain excellent knowledge about preserving fresh produce.
Master Food Preserver Training
Master Food Preservers receive an intensive 2½ month training program in home food preservation. Instruction provides practical courses in the following topics
- Food safety
- Water bath and pressure canning
- Canning jams & jellies
- Dehydrating fruits and vegetables
- Freezing foods
Classes meet weekly, with multiple hands-on labs to learn the food preservation techniques, with outside study in addition to class time. Weekly quizzes and a final examination prepares the trainees to begin their first year.
Learn More About the Next Master Food Preserver Training
Enter your contact information on our Master Food Preserver Training Interest form and we will notify you when the application process is beginning for the next training in your area.
Training in Your Community
Currently there are two separate Master Food Preserver programs in the UCCE Central Sierra. Click on your home county name for more information about the program and class schedule.