2019 UCCE Master Food Preservers of Amador/Calaveras Training
Who Can Apply
- Priority given to Amador and Calaveras county residents. If space allows, neighboring county residents may be accepted.
- Applicants must be comfortable using a computer and accessing the internet. Quizzes and homework are online; class communication is via email.
How to Apply
- Attend one of our training information meetings to learn about the Master Food Preserver Program and our volunteer training:
- Friday, January 4, 12:30 to 1:30 pm at the Amador County GSA Building, 12200-B Airport Road, Jackson
- Thursday, January 17, 12:00 to 1:00 pm at the Angels Camp Business Association Board Room, 300 S. Main St, Angels Camp
- Friday, February 1, 3:30 to 4:30 pm at the Calaveras Senior Center, 956 Mountain Ranch Road, San Andreas
- Monday, February 4, 12:00 to 1:00 pm at the Foothill Fire Protection District, 3255 Helisma Road, Burson
- RSVP online or by calling 530-621-5528 or email Robin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete and submit the online application by February 10, 2019.
What We’ll Do
- Review applicants. Main criteria for acceptance: 1) prior community service, 2) experience teaching, either by giving presentations, writing, or in one-on-one situations, 3) experience/interest in home food preservation.
- Request a DOJ Clearance, including fingerprinting.
- Teach you how to preserve food successfully using scientifically researched home processes.
- Teach you how to educate our community about safe home food preservation.
- Provide you with plenty of fun volunteer and continuing education opportunities.
What You’ll Do If Accepted
- Pay the $135 course fee by March 1, 2019.
- Attend the 9 classes from 12 noon to 6:30 pm on the dates listed. Only one class may be missed and must be completed outside of normal class time with a mentor.
- Complete the Live Scan fingerprinting process by March 15, 2019. See the Live Scan Process Webpage for instructions, downloading the form and completing the process.
- Attend monthly MFP business meetings on the first Tuesdays at 1:30 as often as possible. Meetings alternate between Jackson and San Andreas.
- Complete 50 volunteer hours your first year, then 25 volunteer and 12 continuing education hours each year thereafter.
- Pass an annual food safety reappointment test.
UCCE Amador County Office
12200-B Airport Road, Jackson
Training Fee: $135.00
Class Times: 12 noon - 6:30 pm