2018 UCCE Master Food Preserver Training - El Dorado
January 25 and the 1st Thursday & Saturday of each month (February through June)
Who Can Apply
- Residents of El Dorado County.
- Applicants must be available to attend 11 classes (Thursday, January 25 and the 1st Thursday & Saturday of each month, February through June).
- Applicants must be comfortable using a computer and accessing the internet. Quizzes and homework are online; class communication is via email.
How to Apply
- Attend our program overview meeting on October 21 to learn about the UCCE Master Food Preserver Program, our community involvement, volunteer participation requirements and training. RSVP with Robin Cleveland at 530-621-5528 or firstname.lastname@example.org or online at http://ucanr.edu/mfp_rsvp.
- Complete and submit the online application by Sunday, November 5.
What We’ll Do
- Review applicants. Main criteria for acceptance: 1) prior community service, 2) experience teaching, either by giving presentations, writing, or in one-to-one situations, 3) experience/interest in home food preservation.
- Conduct interviews the week of - date to be announced.
- Request a DOJ background check, including fingerprinting.
- Teach you how to preserve food successfully using scientifically researched home processes.
- Teach you how to educate our community about safe home food preservation.
- Provide you with plenty of volunteer and continuing education opportunities.
What You’ll Do If Accepted
- Pay the course materials fee of $135 by January 15, 2018.
- Attend the 11 classes (Thursday, January 25 and the 1st Thursday and Saturday of each month, February through June). Only one class may be missed and must be completed with a mentor.
- Complete the Live Scan fingerprinting process by January 25, 2018. You will receive more information if accepted.
- Attend monthly Master Food Preserver business meetings on the fourth Tuesdays at 9:00 in Placerville as often as possible.
- Complete 50 volunteer hours your first year, then 25 volunteer and 12 continuing education hours each year thereafter.
- Take an annual food safety reappointment test.