Skip to Content
University of California
Fire Safety Resources
- Amador County Fire Safe Council -
- Builder's Wildfire Mitigation Guide - This website has photos to illustrate fire safe construction techniques for most home construction components and links for up to date products that are compliant with California's Wildland Urban Interface Building Standards (Chapter 7A).
- California Fire Safe Council -
- El Dorado County Fire Safe Council - Countywide Programs: Residential Chipper, Defensible Space Inspection Assistance and on-going Public Education.
- Firesafe Construction Materials and Building Code - New building codes for residents living in the Wildland-Urban Interface were adopted July 1, 2008 to establish minimum standards for construction materials and provide a reasonable level of exterior wildfire exposure protection. Building codes apply to all new construction in areas of mapped hazard. Homeowners can gain a lot of useful information on fire resistance of building products from the new products handbook available at the Office of the State Fire Marshall.
- Firewise Communities - Firewise Communities program encourages local solutions for wildfire safety by involving homeowners, community leaders, planners, developers, firefighters, and others in the effort to protect people and property from the risk of wildfire.
- Home Landscaping for Fire -
- Home Survival in Wildfire-Prone Areas: Building Materials and Design -
- Landscaping Tips to Help Defend Your Home from Wildfire -
- Living with Wildfire in the Tahoe Basin - The Living With Fire program helps inform residents of the Lake Tahoe Basin on how they can live more safely in high fire hazard environments. The purpose website provides information on what to do before (create defensible space), during (procedures for evacuation) and how to cope after a wildfire does occur and help your landscape recover.
- National Fire Protection Association -
- Recovering from Wildfire: A Guide for California's Forest Land Owners - What should I do now?
- Tahoe Fire & Fuels Team - Informational site on the Tahoe Fire and Fuels Team. The team includes local fire agencies and state and federal land managers working together to reduce forest fuels in the Lake Tahoe basin. Get Defensive! Find out more about how to create defensible space, participate in defensible rebate program and what’s going on with reducing fire risk at Lake Tahoe.
- Tuolumne Highway 108 Fire Safe Council -
- UC Homeowner Wildfire Assessment - This online assessment form will guide you through a series of questions about your home and yard, and then provide you with a customized report about its vulnerability to wildfire. You will also receive guidance for possible home improvements and routine maintenance steps that you can take that may reduce your vulnerability to wildfire
- Yosemite West Fire Safe Council -
Webmaster Email: email@example.com