Small Farms Information
Starting a Farm
- Beginning Farmer, ATTRA website
- Beginning Farming Academy, UCCE Placer/Nevada County webpage.
- Developing a Farm Map, ANR Publication #8062
- Farm Management, UC Small Farms webpage
- Marketing & Risk Management, ATTRA website
- Tax Guide: For owners and operators of small and medium sized farms.
- What's in a Name?
Soil & Water Management
- CCOF Certified Organic website
- Organic Certification, Farm Planning, Management & Marketing, ANR Publication #7247
- Organic Farming, ATTRA website
Soil and Water Management
Farming in the Foothills
Preparing for the Unexpected
Posted 10/10/2017 - The Placer County agricultural community has lost a number of key members in the last several years. Several, like my friends J.R. Smith and Jim Bachman, passed away after lengthy illnesses. Others, like Eric Hansen and Tony Aguilar, were taken from...
Workshop Follow-Up: Resources for a Food Safety Plan
Posted 9/19/2017 - We had a great "On-Farm Food Safety" workshop at the end of last month at Mandarin Hill Orchard in Penryn. Fourteen of our local fruit and vegetable growers were in attendance. The workshop included a discussion of strategies for improving food safety, a...
Small Farms News
Exploring Bay Area Wholesale Market Options
Posted 6/26/2017 - On June 13, the Small Farm Program partnered with UCCE Small Farm Advisor Margaret Lloyd to conduct a tour of wholesale produce markets for Sacramento region farmers. During the bus ride from Woodland to San Francisco, I described the packaging and...
Ag labor management seminars offer keys to success in times of labor uncertainty
Posted 1/17/2017 - UC Cooperative Extension will hold workshops in Temecula Feb. 1 and 2 to help California agricultural employers facing many challenges including labor shortages, wage & hour laws, joint liability, worker safety, workers comp insurance, and...