Small Farms Information
Starting a Farm
- Beginning Farmer, ATTRA website
- Beginning Farming Academy, UCCE Placer/Nevada County webpage.
- Developing a Farm Map, ANR Publication #8062
- Farm Management, UC Small Farms webpage
- Marketing & Risk Management, ATTRA website
- Tax Guide: For owners and operators of small and medium sized farms.
- What's in a Name?
Soil & Water Management
- CCOF Certified Organic website
- Organic Certification, Farm Planning, Management & Marketing, ANR Publication #7247
- Organic Farming, ATTRA website
Soil and Water Management
Farming in the Foothills
Open House - Do you know what University of California Cooperative Extension Placer & Nevada Counties Agriculture Programs do?
Posted 12/10/2018 - That is a long name for a little job right? Nope! The UCCE Placer & Nevada Counties serves a growing number of small farmers and ranchers in these two counties. Over 75% of commercial farms and ranches are small scale(less than 50 acres). While the...
“There’s no point in having a dull knife (pun intended)”
Posted 11/30/2018 - There is nothing more frustrating than having to fix or track down a tool in order to use it when it is needed on the farm. As Livestock and Natural Resource Advisor, Dan Macon would say, “There's no point in having a dull knife (no pun...
Small Farms News
Exploring Bay Area Wholesale Market Options
Posted 6/26/2017 - On June 13, the Small Farm Program partnered with UCCE Small Farm Advisor Margaret Lloyd to conduct a tour of wholesale produce markets for Sacramento region farmers. During the bus ride from Woodland to San Francisco, I described the packaging and...
Ag labor management seminars offer keys to success in times of labor uncertainty
Posted 1/17/2017 - UC Cooperative Extension will hold workshops in Temecula Feb. 1 and 2 to help California agricultural employers facing many challenges including labor shortages, wage & hour laws, joint liability, worker safety, workers comp insurance, and...