Small Farms Information
Starting a Farm
- Beginning Farmer, ATTRA website
- Beginning Farming Academy, UCCE Placer/Nevada County webpage.
- Developing a Farm Map, ANR Publication #8062
- Farm Management, UC Small Farms webpage
- Marketing & Risk Management, ATTRA website
- Tax Guide: For owners and operators of small and medium sized farms.
- What's in a Name?
Soil & Water Management
- CCOF Certified Organic website
- Organic Certification, Farm Planning, Management & Marketing, ANR Publication #7247
- Organic Farming, ATTRA website
Soil and Water Management
Farming in the Foothills
“Letters from a Young Farmer”: Beginning Farming -Part 2
It is the time of year when most people with any interest in the outdoors begin thinking about planting something. The last blog post introduced local farmer, Paul Glowaski co-owner of Dinner Bell Farm, as he reflects on the challenges of starting a farm...
“Letters from a Young Farmer”: Beginning Farming -Part 1
In my recent interview with Paul Glowaski of Dinner Bell Farm, co-owner of a pig and flower farm in Chicago Park that has been in business for 9 years, he gave insight into some of the values and challenges associated with becoming a farmer in the...
Small Farms News
Agritourism Intensive classes help grow supportive networks and new enterprises
Fresno organic fruit grower Fran Loewen and her son Bryce Loewen participated in a Small Farm Program-coordinated agritourism planning class two years ago. When we contacted her in a recent follow-up study about the effectiveness of the classes, Loewen...
California Farm Academy now accepting applications
Hello Prospective Farmers! Are you interested in being a farmer, but are not quite sure how to get there? The California Farm Academy (CFA), a program of the Center for Land-Based Learning in Winters, CA is a beginning farmer training program that...