Central Sierra
University of California
Central Sierra

Water School Questions, Answered.

Q.  What are the annual renewal fees for the Irrigated Lands Groups?

The initial fee that was paid when you join the irrigated lands group is a one-time fee.  This fee paid for the setup of the group and the enrollment fee for the Ag Waiver that is paid to the Regional Water Quality Control Board.  There is currently no additional annual fee that is paid to any of the groups in San Diego County.  In the future, when routine monitoring takes place, an annual fee will probably be charged, based on acreage.  In other areas this fee is usually between$10.00-$25.00 per acre per year.

Q.  What is in a Spill Kit?

The following items should be included in your spill kit.

  1. A 3-5 gallon bucket with a lid (to hold the contents and to contain the cleaned-up material.
  2. Gloves for protection of your hands from toxic or corrosive materials
  3. Goggles for eye protection
  4. A particle mask to prevent inhalation of spilled materials
  5. Approximately 3-5 lbs of absorbent material, such as Kitty Litter to absorb the spilled material.
  6. Heavy duty plastic bags to hold the spilled material/kitty litter after it is cleaner up, and twist ties to seal the bags
  7. It is also a good idea to add a marker to label the bags of cleaned-up material, and some Tyvek coveralls.

Q.  If I use a grove management service, do I need to train my grove manager?

It is the job of the grove manager to make sure he receives proper training, and also trains his/her employees.  You do not need to provide training for them.  It is a good idea to ask them if they have received the necessary water quality training, however.

Q.  Do you need duplicate records for different reporting agencies or if you have a large operation and keep your records in different locations?

The Ag Waiver requires that you keep records.  It is not necessary to have multiple sets of records for each site, but you have to be able to produce them upon request.  It is reasonable to keep one set at your main location.  If you have multiple locations, it might be a good idea to keep digital copies of your records, so it will be easier to access them from all locations.

If you have any other questions that didn't come up at the class, feel free to comment below and I'll get back to at my earliest convenience. Thanks for the feedback!

Posted on Monday, October 24, 2011 at 4:54 PM
  • Author: Ryan Krason

No Comments Posted.

Leave a Reply

You are currently not signed in. If you have an account, then sign in now! Anonymously contributed messages may be delayed.

Security Code:

Webmaster Email: cecentralsierra@ucdavis.edu