The Central Sierra forestry program seeks to provide the latest research-based information from the University of California to residents, non-profits, and staff of local, state, and federal agencies.
Susie Kocher is the Natural Resources Advisor for the Central Sierra area. Susie is a Registered Professional Forester with a background in forestry, stream restoration, monitoring and sociology and has worked for Cooperative Extension for 15 years, in South Lake Tahoe since September 2006.
Susie currently has projects in the following areas:
- Collaboration with the new California Fire Science Consortium
- Development of the new University of California Forest Research and Outreach website
- Facilitating public involvement in the Sierra Nevada Adaptive Management Project
- Conducting a Needs Assessment in January 2007 to identify extension and outreach needs
- Collaborating with the Nevada Fire Safe Council, local fire districts, and the Living with Fire program to organize the Lake Tahoe Basin Wildfire Awareness Week and wildfire summit
- Monitoring of the recovery of the Angora fire area in collaboration with the California Tahoe Conservancy
- Developing Voluntary Revegetation Guidelines for Private Parcels in the Angora burn area with a group of affected homeowners
- Check this page for forestry publications.
Ideas for collaboration or educational programming are welcome. Please contact:
Susie Kocher, Natural Resources Advisor
University of California Cooperative Extension-Central Sierra
1061 3rd Street, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Phone: 530-542-2571, E-mail: email@example.com
In 2015/16, many trees are dying throughout the central Sierra Nevada. This link connects to a webpage with information, publications and resources for dealing with tree mortality in the central Sierra.
The University of California Cooperative Extension forestry extension website is up and running at http://ucanr.edu/forestry
Forest Research and Outreach Blog
Reposted from the UCANR Green Blog As policy liberalization rapidly transforms the multi-billion-dollar cannabis agriculture industry in the United States, the need for regulation and assessment of environmental impacts becomes...