Animals & Livestock
- Breeds of Livestock, Oklahoma State University
- Drought Tips for Feeding Beef Cattle and Sheep, Animal Science Department, UC Davis
- Annual Range Forage Production Series
- Annual Rangeland Forage Quality, ANR Pub 8022
- Balancing Beef Cow Nutrient Requirements and Season, ANR Pub 8021
- Basic Beef Production Guidelines, Penn State Extension
- Beef Care Practices, ANR Pub 8257
- Body Condition Scoring, UCCE Placer/Nevada Counties Publication 31-619
- Cost Studies: Sample costs for Beef Cattle Yearling/Stocker Production, UC Cooperative Extension, Sacramento County
- Cost Studies: Sample costs for an Organic Cow-Calf Operation, ANR Pub 8282
- Cost Studies: Sample Costs for Beef Cattle Finished on Grass
- Drinking Water Quality Guidelines for Cattle, UK Cooperative Extension
- Factors and Practices that Influence Livestock Distribution, ANR Pub 8217
- Feeding Rice Straw to Cattle, ANR Pub 8079
- Flies on California Cattle, Department of Entomology, University of California
- Guide to Raising Healthy Beef Cattle, UW Extension
- Guidelines for Describing Grazing Management & Utilization, ANR Pub 7225
- Guidelines for Residual Dry Matter (RDM) Management, ANR Pub 8092
- Keeping Cows Cool, Where Do I Start?, Kansas State University
- Livestock publications through the ANR Calalog
- Raising Beef on a Few Acres, Utah State University Extension
- Sediment Delivery Inventory and Monitoring: A Method for Water Quality Management in Rangeland Watersheds, ANR Pub 8014
- Selecting a Beef Breed, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, University of Georgia
- Shade Options for Grazing Cattle, UK Cooperative Extension Service
- Understanding and Improving Beef Cattle Carcass Quality, ANR Pub 8130
- Use of Feed Inventory Records to Reduce Nutrient Loading at Dairy Operations: Producer Options, ANR Pub 8277
- Visual Assessment of Riparian Health, ANR Pub 8089
- Water Quality Treatment for Livestock Feeding and Exercise Areas, ANR Pub 8210
- Weight vs Shape: Beef Cattle, ANR Leaflet 2942
Goats & Sheep
- Cost Study: Sample Costs for a Goats for Meat Operation in Northern California, UC Cooperative Extension
- Criteria to Selecting Goat Breeding Stock, Alabama A&M & Auburn University Cooperative Extension System
- Dairy Goat Production, Penn State Extension
- Meat Goat Production, Penn State Extension
- Raising Dairy Goat Kids, ANR Pub 8160
- Sheep Selection Tools, Penn State Extension
- Sustainable Goat Production: Dairy Goats, ATTRA
- Sustainable Goat Production: Meat Goats, ATTRA
- Establishing and Managing Irrigated Pasture for Horses, ANR Pub 8486
Poisonous Plants to Livestock and Other Animals
Barn Owls: Biological Control
I usually enjoy life and growing things as a farmer, however I was excited in the recent weeks to see the remains of something most definitely dead; owl pellets under an artificial nesting site. After a couple barn owl boxes were installed last year, I...
Everything You Want to Know About Labor but Are Afraid to Ask
Do you have questions about hiring farm employees? Are you considering making the jump from farmer to owner-operator? We have compiled a few key questions you might want to ask yourself if you answered “yes” to either of those two...
Who knows??? - Operational Continuity
The other day as I noticed the bright shoots of green from daffodil bulbs popping up from under the leaves, I was reminded of the silly little sprinklers lining the landscaped space near my family home. My grandpa had put in the great little...
Did You Miss the Farmer-to-Farmer Breakfast?
A room full of farmers came out on a rainy Wednesday morning to enjoy breakfast together. Our guest speaker, Domenic Fino of Golden Pacific Crop Insurance Services, came all the way from Dinuba, California. He is a farmer, with a family legacy...
Risk - What are You Waiting For?
Risk – What are you waiting for? As the old saying goes, when it rains it pours. Nobody knows that better than we do right now, literally. For most farmers, rain is a good thing. However, for mandarin growers the amounts of rain and lengthy...