Animals & Livestock
- Breeds of Livestock, Oklahoma State University
- Drought Tips for Feeding Beef Cattle and Sheep, Animal Science Department, UC Davis
- Basic Beef Production Guidelines, Penn State Extension
- Beef Care Practices, ANR Pub 8257
- Body Condition Scoring (BCS) System for Beef Cattle, Oregon State University
- Cost Studies: Sample costs for Beef Cattle Yearling/Stocker Production, UC Cooperative Extension, Sacramento County
- Cost Studies: Sample costs for an Organic Cow-Calf Operation, ANR Pub 8282
- Drinking Water Quality Guidelines for Cattle, UK Cooperative Extension
- Feeding Rice Straw to Cattle, ANR Pub 8079
- Flies on California Cattle, Department of Entomology, University of California
- Guide to Raising Healthy Beef Cattle, UW Extension
- Keeping Cows Cool, Where Do I Start?, Kansas State University
- Raising Beef on a Few Acres, Utah State University Extension
- Selecting a Beef Breed, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, University of Georgia
- Shade Options for Grazing Cattle, UK Cooperative Extension Service
- Understanding and Improving Beef Cattle Carcass Quality, ANR Pub 8130
- Use of Feed Inventory Records to Reduce Nutrient Loading at Dairy Operations: Producer Options, ANR Pub 8277
- Weight vs Shape: Beef Cattle, ANR Leaflet 2942
Goats & Sheep
- Cost Study: Sample Costs for a Goats for Meat Operation in Northern California, UC Cooperative Extension
- Criteria to Selecting Goat Breeding Stock, Alabama A&M & Auburn University Cooperative Extension System
- Raising Dairy Goat Kids, ANR Pub 8160
- Selecting Meat Goats, Penn State Extension
- Sheep Selection, Penn State Extension
- Sustainable Goat Production: Meat Goats, ATTRA
- Establishing and Managing Irrigated Pasture for Horses, ANR Pub 8486
Poisonous Plants to Livestock and Other Animals
Perfecting Your Sales Pitch
Posted 5/11/2017 - When I started my first business, I knew that I had a great product and I expected everyone to automatically realize this and purchase it. In those initial months, sales were lackluster. I couldn't believe how few people were buying and that buyers were...
Happy Irrigation Season!
Posted 4/24/2017 - Happy irrigation season for those of you who enjoy swimming more than farming. April 15 is the start of irrigation season! It may be raining and wet now but before you know it, you will need irrigation to keep your crops and pastures healthy. This is...
Start Smarter Part 2: Lessons I Learned Along the Way
Posted 4/17/2017 - In my first Starting Smarter blog post, I talked about hands-on education, business planning, market research, and crop selection (Starting Smarter Part 1). I could write a book on what I didn't know when I started farming. In Part 2, I will summarize...
Start Smarter Part 1: Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Farming
Posted 3/21/2017 - When I started farming, I thought I was going to be a fantastic farmer due to my business background, personal savings, maturity, family support, and work ethic. I did benefit from those things and am farming successfully now. However, I was woefully...
Applying for a Farm Loan
Posted 2/28/2017 - There are many reasons a farm might want to apply for a loan. Capital improvements, cash flow, crop expansion and land acquisition are a few. The exact loan application process and records required will depend on your lender and your individual...