Animals & Livestock
- Breeds of Livestock, Oklahoma State University
- Drought Tips for Feeding Beef Cattle and Sheep, Animal Science Department, UC Davis
- Basic Beef Production Guidelines, Penn State Extension
- Beef Care Practices, ANR Pub 8257
- Body Condition Scoring, UCCE Placer/Nevada Counties Publication 31-619
- Cost Studies: Sample costs for Beef Cattle Yearling/Stocker Production, UC Cooperative Extension, Sacramento County
- Cost Studies: Sample costs for an Organic Cow-Calf Operation, ANR Pub 8282
- Cost Studies: Sample Costs for Beef Cattle Finished on Grass
- Drinking Water Quality Guidelines for Cattle, UK Cooperative Extension
- Feeding Rice Straw to Cattle, ANR Pub 8079
- Flies on California Cattle, Department of Entomology, University of California
- Guide to Raising Healthy Beef Cattle, UW Extension
- Keeping Cows Cool, Where Do I Start?, Kansas State University
- Raising Beef on a Few Acres, Utah State University Extension
- Selecting a Beef Breed, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, University of Georgia
- Shade Options for Grazing Cattle, UK Cooperative Extension Service
- Understanding and Improving Beef Cattle Carcass Quality, ANR Pub 8130
- Use of Feed Inventory Records to Reduce Nutrient Loading at Dairy Operations: Producer Options, ANR Pub 8277
- Weight vs Shape: Beef Cattle, ANR Leaflet 2942
Goats & Sheep
- Cost Study: Sample Costs for a Goats for Meat Operation in Northern California, UC Cooperative Extension
- Criteria to Selecting Goat Breeding Stock, Alabama A&M & Auburn University Cooperative Extension System
- Dairy Goat Production, Penn State Extension
- Meat Goat Production, Penn State Extension
- Raising Dairy Goat Kids, ANR Pub 8160
- Sheep Selection Tools, Penn State Extension
- Sustainable Goat Production: Dairy Goats, ATTRA
- Sustainable Goat Production: Meat Goats, ATTRA
- Establishing and Managing Irrigated Pasture for Horses, ANR Pub 8486
Poisonous Plants to Livestock and Other Animals
Posted 10/26/2017 - Upon reading Dan Macon's blog, Preparing for the Unexpected, I was reminded of my own lack of preparedness. Recent losses in the agricultural community, of mentors, friends, and colleagues, have struck close to home. I have worked with some of the...
Preparing for the Unexpected
Posted 10/10/2017 - The Placer County agricultural community has lost a number of key members in the last several years. Several, like my friends J.R. Smith and Jim Bachman, passed away after lengthy illnesses. Others, like Eric Hansen and Tony Aguilar, were taken from...
Workshop Follow-Up: Resources for a Food Safety Plan
Posted 9/19/2017 - We had a great "On-Farm Food Safety" workshop at the end of last month at Mandarin Hill Orchard in Penryn. Fourteen of our local fruit and vegetable growers were in attendance. The workshop included a discussion of strategies for improving food safety, a...
Controlling Internal Parasites in Sheep and Goats
Posted 9/11/2017 - If you've raised sheep or goats, you've doubtless seen symptoms of internal parasites. In our own sheep, these symptoms include diarrhea, general lethargy, anemia, and bottle jaw. If you've been in the business of raising sheep and goats for any length...
10 Practices That Will Reduce Your On-Farm Food Safety Risks
Posted 8/18/2017 - Everyone has a role in keeping food safe, starting with the farmer and ending with the consumer. As a farmer, you have many responsibilities, including making sure the food you produce is safe for your customers. The following is a top ten...