Animals & Livestock
- Breeds of Livestock, Oklahoma State University
- Drought Tips for Feeding Beef Cattle and Sheep, Animal Science Department, UC Davis
- Basic Beef Production Guidelines, Penn State Extension
- Beef Care Practices, ANR Pub 8257
- Body Condition Scoring (BCS) System for Beef Cattle, Oregon State University
- Cost Studies: Sample costs for Beef Cattle Yearling/Stocker Production, UC Cooperative Extension, Sacramento County
- Cost Studies: Sample costs for an Organic Cow-Calf Operation, ANR Pub 8282
- Drinking Water Quality Guidelines for Cattle, UK Cooperative Extension
- Feeding Rice Straw to Cattle, ANR Pub 8079
- Flies on California Cattle, Department of Entomology, University of California
- Guide to Raising Healthy Beef Cattle, UW Extension
- Keeping Cows Cool, Where Do I Start?, Kansas State University
- Raising Beef on a Few Acres, Utah State University Extension
- Selecting a Beef Breed, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, University of Georgia
- Shade Options for Grazing Cattle, UK Cooperative Extension Service
- Understanding and Improving Beef Cattle Carcass Quality, ANR Pub 8130
- Use of Feed Inventory Records to Reduce Nutrient Loading at Dairy Operations: Producer Options, ANR Pub 8277
- Weight vs Shape: Beef Cattle, ANR Leaflet 2942
Goats & Sheep
- Cost Study: Sample Costs for a Goats for Meat Operation in Northern California, UC Cooperative Extension
- Criteria to Selecting Goat Breeding Stock, Alabama A&M & Auburn University Cooperative Extension System
- Raising Dairy Goat Kids, ANR Pub 8160
- Selecting Meat Goats, Penn State Extension
- Sheep Selection, Penn State Extension
- Sustainable Goat Production: Meat Goats, ATTRA
- Establishing and Managing Irrigated Pasture for Horses, ANR Pub 8486
Poisonous Plants to Livestock and Other Animals
Applying for a Farm Loan
Posted 2/28/2017 - There are many reasons a farm might want to apply for a loan. Capital improvements, cash flow, crop expansion and land acquisition are a few. The exact loan application process and records required will depend on your lender and your individual...
Ready for Taxes?
Posted 2/9/2017 - Taxes can be overwhelming. Even if you are great with numbers, do you want to dedicate hours or days to reading through the ever-changing tax laws? What do you know about Adjusted Basis, Employment Taxes, and Accounting Methods? Do you know what is new...
Risk Management with FSA & RMA
Posted 1/12/2017 - In this downpour, as small rivers run down the hills of my farm, it has me thinking more seriously about crop insurance. I may be one of the fortunate ones to not have lost any crops in this storm. Some of you may be experiencing issues with flooding,...
126 Hours Doing What???
Posted 12/15/2016 - A rainy day in winter is the perfect time to sit inside and do some Farm Business Planning. Setting new goals, evaluating crops, assessing markets, and realizing you need to keep better records!In order to evaluate accurately, you need information. In...
Less Is More: Specialization As a Key to Farming Success
Posted 12/8/2016 - Picture a storybook farm: rows of vegetable crops, fruit trees, a flock of laying hens, some pigs wallowing or cows grazing, and a happy farmer with a spade, chasing stray rabbits from his crops. Sounds idyllic, doesn't it? As farmers and ranchers, we...