Skip to Content
University of California
Horticulture & Gardening
- Deer Management Program Publications - (Dept of Fish and Game) Provides information on deer resistant plants, the application of commercial deer repellents, and the construction of deer-proof fencing as well as other information.
- California Backyard Orchard - Topics include site considerations, tree selection, propagation, preparation & planting, first year care, irrigation, pollination, pruning & more.
- California Bee-Friendly Garden Recipes, UCANR publication #8518
- California Center for Urban Horitculture - Enhancing urban living through horticulture.
- The California Garden Web
- California Native Plant Society - Information on plants native to CA with photos, and links to other native plant information.
- California Wildflowers - A guide to 128 species, provided by the Calif. Academy of Sciences. Look up by color, common or scientific name, or family.
- Deer Resistent Plant List for Central Sierra - Fact: There are no deer resistant plants. But there are plants that most deer wll not eat if there is an abundance of food. Most of the plants listed in this document will not be eaten by deer if there is another choice; however this is not a guarantee they won't at least take a sample now and then.
- El Dorado County Tree Mortality webpage
- Fair Oaks Horticulture Center - An instructional facility with many demonstration plantings. Monthly workshops are held throughout much of the year.
- Garden Watchdog - Reviews and ratings of over 3,000 gardening catalogs and vendors. Includes links to each company's website and e-mail address.
- Grape Growing in your backyard and other backyard growing, berries, flowers, pest control, poisonous plants and more.
- International Society of Arboriculture - (ISA) Find a local certified arborist. Lots of good tree care information.
- Master Gardener Program - UC-trained volunteers extend research-based information to the public about home horticulture and pest management. The information is provided to the public in classes, telephone hot-lines, at community events and in demonstration gardens.
- Integrated Pest Management (IPM) for Backyard Fruits and Vegetable Growers
- Plant Right - Plant Right was designed to be mindful of differences in major ecological zones where invasive plants are concerned.
- UC Guide to Healthy Lawns - Click on landscapes, gardens and turf, then scroll down to lawn and turf pests and management.
- UC Master Gardener Videos - Videotaped lectures from the UC Master Gardener Training Classes.
- UC Davis Arboretum - The Arboretum specializes in plants adapted to a Mediterranean climate. The site includes an arboretum map and event calendar.
- Vegetable Planting Dates - This guide lists vegetables and when to plant them at what elevations.
Webmaster Email: email@example.com